One year done… another one to look forward to. Last year was a good year. Maybe an 8 (out of 10). It was also a busy year. There are lots of things we did better in 2013 than in 2012. For example, last summer was much less chaotic than the summer before. We had a much better trip to Lucia. We missed a family vacation last summer, but had a wedding instead.
I made a list a year ago about what I wanted to accomplish this year. I didn’t do them all, but that is okay. A list is a place to start. Here is the list from last year:
- Get the sailboat in the water and go sailing (Done. We had a great summer with the sailboat.)
- Build an island for the kitchen (Done. I could have made the top wider, but it is a great improvement over the table.)
- Build two larger woodworking projects. (Done. I built the kitchen island and a nightstand for the boys. I also built a chicken coop, shelves for the garage, and a trellis for the garden.)
- Get garage ready for the wedding this summer (Done. Though with a lot of help.)
- Ride bike into work more often than last year. (Not done…. I’ll need to work more on that this year.)
- Finish painting the outside of the house. (Done. But mostly by Susanna…. we have a little to touch up this summer though.)
- Continue organizing the workshop. (Done)
- Build a wooden hand plane. (Not done. Maybe this year…)
- Go camping with the boys. (Not done…. but I went camping with Susanna)
- (added very recently) – finish repairs to Will’s room. (Done)
- and of course… get married to Susanna. (Done))
Now to look forward to 2014. What do I want to accomplish this year. Of course, I have ADHD, so any list will likely change. Daily. But that is the fun of a list, it is a place to start and deviate from.
For the house:
- Paint the garage
- Fix 4 windows.
- Replace the bathroom floor.
- Focus on cleaning up the yard.
In the workshop:
- Finish the nightstands for the boys. Build nightstands for our bedroom. I’ll be pretty sick of nightstands by then.
- Build a bed.
- Finish the workshop floor, and repair/replace the doors.
- Add better heat before next winter.
With the family:
- Take the sailboat out for an overnight trip.
- Go camping.
- Buy a new car.
- Print books from Will and Ben’s blogs.
- Exercise more
- Keep writing in the blog
And, overall, have fun!!!