My mom visited for the weekend. She arrived in the middle of our crazy summer (Sorry, mom!). On Saturday we had the Bross family (my Uncle Jim, Rhonda and Mary Ann) over for dinner (we went fancy, with hamburgers, corn on the cob and salad).
So in addition to getting to show off all the changes to the house that we made over the past year and a half, we got a little assistance in the garden. Much appreciated help weeding the garden from my mom, Rhonda and Mary Ann. Thanks for all the help.
By Monday, the house was empty of guests. Susanna didn’t have to work. The sun came out (for the first time in a week). We headed to Devil’s Hopyard State Park. The boys enjoyed swimming in the river (a nice change from the beach). After a bit at the park, we headed home, stopping to get ice-cream on the way.
The summer has been a bit crazy. I’m hoping next year I can plan the summer to be a little more relaxing.
We took my mom to the airport this morning after a nice (but short) visit with her. For the next couple of days we have an empty house. Rebecka flew back to Sweden on Friday; Linda and Sofia are visiting Niagara falls until Tuesday morning.
The summer doesn’t really slow down until after my trip with the boys next week, but a short break in the rush is welcome.
It is sometimes nice to just let the ADHD take over…. so here is a bunch of random thoughts/updates. So, if either of the two readers of this don’t want random, I suggest you skip this post (Susanna excepted – she gets to read all my posts, good or bad).
In addition to enjoying NYC, the girls have been helping out around the house. This week they scrapped the trim on the front porch – the most complicated of section of exterior trim.
So… Project updates:
-Sailboat: The trailer is making progress – I need two more pieces of steel to finish repairs. Still working on the topside repairs and making trim for the interior.
– Kitchen Island: On hold until after the summer projects. The lumber is milled, hopefully it won’t get too warped before I get back to it.
– House Trim: Only progress on the porch mentioned above.
In addition, we are teaching Targa how to “shake” in Swedish. The command is “Vacker Tass.” He is doing pretty well. We decided that Tucker is a little too slow to learn Swedish this week.
The original wiring on the boat was a mess. I have ripped out most of the old wiring, and am in the process of replacing it all. I also decided to replace the battery (I think it had one or two large batteries originally) with a small 35 Amp-Hour deep cycle AGM battery. All the running lights and interior lights will be low-draw LEDs, so a large battery shouldn’t be needed.
The battery compartment and all the electrical switches are under the starboard settee. I couldn’t figure out how the old batteries were originally restrained in the battery compartment. There didn’t appear to be any place to connect a strap or any other restraining device. So I am adding some support for the battery (with room for a second battery of the same size). Yesterday I used epoxy and fiberglass tabs to connect three pieces of wood on the inboard side of where the batteries will sit.
Once all the epoxy has cured, I will run a 1×1 piece of wood across the inboard supports and one across the outboard supports. The battery will sit between the supports, and I will use a strap to ensure the battery doesn’t move.
I am using fast-set hardener for the epoxy, so it should be ready for the next step this evening.
I am also working on constructing a new switch panel. The old one had corroded to the point of not working. I have a hole cut for the panel and the piece of teak (I believe it is teak, but it doesn’t really matter) cut out. This afternoon I will mark the cutout size on the back of the wood so I know exactly where all the hardware needs to fit. I have the switches, fuse holders, and wire – so I should be able to finish the switch panel over the next couple of days.
I also worked on fiberglass repair on the starboard deck, alongside the cabin. The wood decking core was wet when I bought the boat (years ago), and years ago I repaired the weak portion of the deck. I had just never smoothed and painted the surface. I’ll post pictures later today on that project.
Now for a quick dip in the (hopefully) not too cold pool.
The girls all headed to New York City this morning. I get the day to myself – a quiet day with the dogs. It is a perfect day to finish project that have been hanging out.
This morning I’ll do a little cleaning (the house and the workshop). I already did some fiberglass work on the boat (building a place for the battery) – I’ll post on that later. This afternoon I’ll mow the yard, and hopefully get some of the woodworking done on the boat. I’ve done most of the trailer work that I can do without getting more steel square tube.