A Saturday in Middletown Connecticut

William standing on Main Street
Will on Main Street in Middletown

Saturday was a big family outing.  The outing was all planned by Susanna; which of course is nice for me (not having to plan).  Our trip centered around watching a play at the Oddfellows Playhouse in Middletown, CT.  The play was only for one hour (I think it wound up being only 45 minutes or so), so we planned to visit the city and the children’s museum there as well.

We drove up late in the morning, giving us plenty of time for lunch before the play.  We parked on the street next to the playhouse (and even saw the fire hydrant that Susanna got a ticket in front of the previous week).

Ben at Lunch
Ben having his root beer at lunch

The first stop was to walk to Main Street and find a place to eat lunch.  We walked by a toy store, and of course had to stop and look.  I told the boys that they could only look (we weren’t there to get toys).  That doesn’t keep them from begging to buy a toy (“It’s only 7 dollars, I’ll pay you back when I get home…”).  But we managed to get out of there with no new toys and not too many tears.  We had a wonderful lunch at Javapolooza Cafe on main street.  The boys even got a free doughnut for dessert, and had their favorite drink ever, root beer.

The next stop was back to the toy store…. where the boys got a toy tank (they were very good at lunch without me even promising them that they could go back and get a toy).  We had a few minutes for them to stop and play as we waited for the start time of the play.

Playing with their new toys
Will and Ben playing with their toys
Stopping to play

After stopping to play we walked up to the playhouse for the play.  It was an original play put on by a group of 10 year old children.  The play was about the other side of the story – how maybe the villains in the fairy-tail stories have never had their side told.  It was very funny, and everyone enjoyed the play.  Even if the boys did get restless a bit (Will definitely had trouble sitting still, and even Ben was restless and bumped his lip on the chair in front of him – don’t ask, I’m still not sure how he did that).  It was fun to visit the playhouse that Susanna has been working (volunteering for school – she needs to observe/teach for a two 7 week internships – one of which she is doing here) at for the past couple of weeks.

Playing at the children's museum

After the play we walked across the street to the Kidcity Children’s Museum. The boys thought that was the highlight of the day, and didn’t want to leave when it was time to head home.  I thought it was maybe geared for kids that were a little younger, but it had lots of fun stuff for them.  It is certainly bigger than the children’s museum in Niantic.

After the museum we all headed home (a tired family) for quiet time and dinner.

Here are some more pictures from our trip:

Susanna at the Museum
Trains at teh children's museum

A few more family pictures

William Curtis
William with Sheet (Summer 2009)

Here is a picture from last summer.  I took it on one of our beautiful days outside when we were living in Taftville.  I had hung the sheets out to dry on the laundry line, and William posed in front of the sheets.  I then took the picture and made it a sepia toned photograph using GIMP.  I think this is one of my better pictures of William.

Benjamin sitting on a chair

This next picture was from around the same time as the one before it.  It was an adjustment living in Taftville and being a single parent half of the time – but I think we made the best of it (of course it was a difficult summer for all I am sure).  Here is Benjamin showing his best smile (something he doesn’t always do for pictures).

The neverending bedroom renovation

This is a project that has gone on way too long.  But I am making progress.  In August with the help of Susanna, Will and Ben we tore down most of the plaster on the two exterior walls in the bedroom.  I have currently nearly finished installing the wiring.  Next is to clean up the exterior walls (pull remaining nails/plaster down) and then add insulation. 

Here are some pictures of the renovation: