I figured it would be appropriate to follow a post on renovating the house with ADHD with a post on a completely unrelated (new) project.
Sprouting. Luckily this project doesn’t take much time.
We had periodically purchased sprouts at the store and used them in place of lettuce on sandwiches and for snacks. However, they are expensive, and the quality at the store greatly varies. So, I bought some seeds and tried sprouting in a mason jar. It was amazingly simple.
This time of year, getting greens is difficult. The lettuce at the store is bland. Most of the vegetables have been shipped from the southern hemisphere. Sprouts are a good way to get some variation with little work.
I purchased two Easy Sprout Sprouters from the The Sprout House. They came with a pound of valentines day sprouting seeds each. The process is pretty easy:
- Take a 1/8-1/4 cup of seeds and soak in a weak bleach solution (1 tsp bleach/1 cup of water) for 15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Fill the sprouter with water, covering the seeds. Soak for 8-12 hours and drain.
- Rinse and drain two to three times a day.
- After 3-5 days, the sprouts are ready to harvest. I rinse them and spin them out in a salad spinner and let dry on the counter for a couple of hours before putting in the refrigerator.
Two Easy Sprout Sprouters gives us more sprouts than the two of us can eat. I have decided to wait a day between harvesting a batch and starting a new batch. The home-grown sprouts are much better tasting than the ones you get from the store, and there are lots of choices for sprout seed mixes.
In a (mostly) unrelated topic (only related somewhere in my mind), I started seedlings for the garden this spring. I started the pepper plants this weekend. I’ll start the tomato plants in a month or so. I’m trying to get a few more plants growing in the garden than I did last year, but not making any more garden space. I’m planning on building trellises this spring and growing the plants up. More about that as the spring gets closer.