The original wiring on the boat was a mess. I have ripped out most of the old wiring, and am in the process of replacing it all. I also decided to replace the battery (I think it had one or two large batteries originally) with a small 35 Amp-Hour deep cycle AGM battery. All the running lights and interior lights will be low-draw LEDs, so a large battery shouldn’t be needed.
The battery compartment and all the electrical switches are under the starboard settee. I couldn’t figure out how the old batteries were originally restrained in the battery compartment. There didn’t appear to be any place to connect a strap or any other restraining device. So I am adding some support for the battery (with room for a second battery of the same size). Yesterday I used epoxy and fiberglass tabs to connect three pieces of wood on the inboard side of where the batteries will sit.
Once all the epoxy has cured, I will run a 1×1 piece of wood across the inboard supports and one across the outboard supports. The battery will sit between the supports, and I will use a strap to ensure the battery doesn’t move.
I am using fast-set hardener for the epoxy, so it should be ready for the next step this evening.
I am also working on constructing a new switch panel. The old one had corroded to the point of not working. I have a hole cut for the panel and the piece of teak (I believe it is teak, but it doesn’t really matter) cut out. This afternoon I will mark the cutout size on the back of the wood so I know exactly where all the hardware needs to fit. I have the switches, fuse holders, and wire – so I should be able to finish the switch panel over the next couple of days.
I also worked on fiberglass repair on the starboard deck, alongside the cabin. The wood decking core was wet when I bought the boat (years ago), and years ago I repaired the weak portion of the deck. I had just never smoothed and painted the surface. I’ll post pictures later today on that project.
Now for a quick dip in the (hopefully) not too cold pool.